- Every effort is given to uproot preventable blindness from the country, in tune with Government’s programme of VISION 2020.
- Mobile unit equipped with advanced eye testing equipment team of doctors travel to remote areas to conduct eye check-up camps.
- Main purpose of this mobile unit is “To serve the unserved”.
- Patients requiring surgical intervention are brought to base hospital for respective surgeries.
- Free spectacles are distributed among patients with refractive errors whenever support received.
Glimpses of eye checkup camp:
Allamin Siksha Niketan is situated in a remote village named Shukur Danga in Labpur Block of Birbhum Distrit. This is the only school within a radius of 7km. where medium of instruction is English. Hence, parents not only from adjoining villages but also from far off ones prefer to send their children to this school.
An eye screening camp was organised in the school in which all students (about 350 children) were checked.
- Approximately 12% of the children within the age group of 7 to 10 were identified to be suffering from refractive errors.
- Two children, one studying in upper K.G. and the other in class IV were identified to b suffering from retinopathy squint. This R.S. can be cured through vision therapy since detection occurred at an early stage.
- Number of children studying in this school were identified to be suffering from Vitamin A deficien.